Having pain around eye ball. How to get relief?

I have mild pain around my left eye ball. The pain is stronger if I press the eyeball. What should I do ?It developed suddenly.
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Before giving an appropriate answer, the ideal would have been to have an idea with respect to the pain.
Is this the first time you are experiencing this type of pain?
Do you have a past history of eye surgery?
When did the pain start, I understand it did suddenly, was this associated with a particular physical activity you were undertaking.?
Any associated headaches, migraines?
Are you experiencing any redness, itches or tearing?
Is the pain aggravated by exposure to light?
Do you experience blurred vision?
Any nausea or vomiting?fever or history of sinus disease.

Acute affection of a part of the eye, called the anterior uvea usually presents as such. But in this case, with increased pain when exposed to light. Acute narrow angle glaucoma, caused by an increase in the pressure within the eye globe could also present as such. Temporal arteritis, an inflammatory disease could also cause acute eye ache, and would actually need urgent management. However,other signs like unilateral headaches, fever and malaise are observed.

My suggestion for now is that you try to book an appointment with an opthalmologist, especially if this is for the very first time. Appropriate diagnosis shall involve an extensive past medical history, physical examination and laboratory and other paraclinical tests. For the moment, taking common Analgesics like Acetaminophen could be appropriate to control the pain. Its very safe to book an urgent appoint for a proper clinical and paraclinical evaluation.

Thanks for using XXXXXXX and wishing you good health. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Luchuo, MD.