Having pain and numbness from wrist to shoulder. Found swollen mass on armpit. Looking for treatment

General Surgeon
Question
i've been having pain and numbness from wrist to shoulder....had EMG that revealed carpal tunnel and a very small cyst was found on MRI of wrist and awaiting bone scan results. Doctor says my pain and symptoms are disproportionate to the percentage of carpal tunnel syndrome and surgery is not an option. Recently, I just had a feeling I need to do a breast exam and I found a swollen mass at the axillary tissue/armpit of the breast on the same side as the numbness and pain. At my appointment with my Orthopedic today, should I tell him about the swollen mass? Or should this wait for my Gynecology appointment that I have scheduled? (It's not for a week and a half, and I have a feeling that this mass is squeezing a nerve....as I have always said it felt like someone was pinching my armpit).

Thank you for your input as I am so worried about the mass being the cause of all of my arm troubles.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It is possible that your symptoms are caused by enlarged lymph nodes of your armpit. If such nodes are big enough they can compress your hand nerve and cause similar to ultrasound and Gynecology appointment as soon as possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having pain and numbness from wrist to shoulder. Found swollen mass on armpit. Looking for treatment 4 hours later
I also forgot to mention I have fibrocystic breast disease, but normally only feel tenderness prior to my menses. Today I noticed the swollen area seems to appear larger and is kind of burning. Do you think this can wait a week and a half? Or should I make an appointment sooner?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As you can see your symptoms are getting worse. It is possible that some inflammation process of breast or armpit is causing your symptoms. Breast cancer should be ruled out as well. In my opinion you should not wait with it and have an appointment sooner.

Follow-up: Having pain and numbness from wrist to shoulder. Found swollen mass on armpit. Looking for treatment 3 hours later
I was able to get a sooner apt for today and in waiting for my appointment, after i showered and dressed I checked the swollen area again and it is now blue. Is this a sign of cancer? What else, could it be? I'm very concerned as to its sudden change in color. I also have an increased feeling of arm weakness today, before it changed color. Thanks for all your input.

Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Blue color is most probable caused by blood in this area. If there was a trauma in this region it can be a bruise or hematoma. This would be a good news, however there is a risk that hematoma gets infected and will turn into abscess. And this is not a typical cancer symptom. Simple ultrasound will tell what exactly it is. If it is an hematoma, small surgery procedure will be necessary to remove this blood.
And if you feel weak, have fever or shivers and this place is getting more painful, please do not wait to see a doctor.

Regards.