Having numbness on thigh and pain on both legs. How to get relief?

Im having pain in both my legs after a 8 hour road trip. Numbing pain in thigh area.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Leg numbness and pain can occur after long duration's of sitting (road trip). This should not be of any major concern. This is mainly due to prolonged pressure on a nerve or nerves.

Could you also tell me if you are experiencing or experienced any of the following: confusion or loss of consciousness, difficulty walking, difficulty breathing, dizziness, back injury, loss of bladder control, slurred speech, weakness, paralysis, etc.

This usually does not require any treatment and subsides on its own. You could try your best to walk or move around a little, a hot compress using a cloth or applying a cold ice pack on the numb area will help greatly.

Also, mild pain management medication (eg. diclofenac sodium or aceclofenac), specific for muscular pain will also help immensely. Avoid using this more than once.

If the pain and numbness lasts for more than 12 hours, you will have to visit a doctor at the earliest.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Having numbness on thigh and pain on both legs. How to get relief? 1 hour later
Having a hard time walking from the pain. And a lot of peeing. I thought it was from me missing a day of my bp pills.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Hello once again sir.

Please try the warm compress on your legs. This will help in promoting circulation. Try not to elevate your legs, instead leave them hanging from where you are seated. Also, please be seated in a comfortable chair or bed, etc. Keep changing your position. Massaging your legs will also promote blood circulation.

Please also consume as much water as possible, to keep yourself hydrated. The visits to the toilet will also help in promoting circulation. I hope you are not experiencing any urinary incontinence. Please take your blood pressure medication, as this could cause the increased urination. Many individuals also experience an increased urination after roads trips due to either an infection or prolonged stress on the bladder because of the seated position and now sudden relaxation after being released from that position.

If you continue to experience this numbness and/or pain for a longer duration (1-2 hours), please visit a doctor immediately.

I hope this information helps. I wish you quick relief from your symptoms.

Best wishes.