Having moles with changing colour. Normal?

i have two moles im worried about, one is new, it has developed in the last year, the other was colerless and has now started turning brown with a darker spot in the middle, the new one had funky edges, the fade in color untill its the same as my skin, i have very few moles and even fewer have color, i am 20 years old and am not sure if i should be worried, i know moles can change/appear as you get older, but this has happened in the last year, i was under the impression it would take longer, should i be worried? or is this normal?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 18 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Moles are nothing but pigmented patches of skin and are usually harmless. But when a mole changes color, grows in size, gets irregular borders, has a tuft of hair in the centre - it is a cause of concern.

In your case, the mole has changed in color and another mole has irregular borders. These changes have occurred over a year. Though malignant lesion usually grows very fast within days to weeks, I do recommend you consult a dermatologist for a detailed examination and biopsy. Histopathological study will confirm the nature of the problem.

In the mean time please watch out for
1. Development of similar moles.
2. Change of color
3. Change in size
4. Moles with irregular borders
5. Moles with hair at their centre

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions please reply to me, I will be happy to answer. Please accept my answer if you do not have further queries.