Having mild abdominal pain and back pain. Could it be food poisoning?

General Surgeon
since yesterday i have normal to mild pain in my whole abdomen though not much in lower part and also pain at my back side specially mid back side..though after food i slept the pain was not less and i felt little discomfort and woke up early morning at around 5 am.till that time pain was same but aftr few hours its bit less than before u can say 30 % less and now also its same mild pain(17:15 IST)...what could be the reason behind this???is it food poisoning as i ate spicy foods??also my eating time is not timely...sometimes dnt take brkfast,sometimes lunch at 4 pm,sometimes no dinner n slept that way...

(also i like to add that i was drinking alcohol for last one week and also took combiflame tablet early morning sometimes for hangover...also i other problems)
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It will be very hard to answer your questions as such non-specific abdominal pain can appear in almost every abdominal disease.
Regular alcohol intake is a good reason for such symptoms explanation. It irritates stomach, liver, gall bladder, pancreas and intestines and for sure it can cause such symptoms. It can also cause liver or pancreas diseases, peptic ulcers or stomach inflammation. Very same situation is with spicy foods. It can irritate digestive tract and cause abdominal pain as well.
Lower abdominal pain can be also caused by Back pain can also be present.
Back pain is also present with gall stones and pancreas diseases.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP), amylase, bilirubin and urine analysis.
You should also avoid the alcohol and spicy foods for some time and see if it brings any relief.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having mild abdominal pain and back pain. Could it be food poisoning? 37 minutes later
thank you very can only few months alcohol intake can cause damage to pancreas?...i just started drinking before 1 year...actually though my abdomen is paining mainly its more prominent in right side upper part...and mid back side......i also have no fever,vomiting,oily stool,nausea etc only pain mainly back side u can say 60% pain back side and 40 % abdomen....can u suggest some medicine for temporary relief for few days till i get it diagnosed and get the results....and also can i take udiliv 300??
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 55 minutes later

Usually few months alcohol does not affect pancreas. Only in very rare cases it can.
So the pancreas disease is less probable than other mentioned.
Right upper abdominal pain radiating to the back is characteristic for gall stones. But like i`ve said before, it can be everything.
For temporary relief you can take Metalgin twice a day and Buscopan twice a day. You should also avoid fatty foods and alcohol. You can take Udiliv 300 as well.

Hope this will help.