Having menstrual bleeding, hair loss, dry hair, bloated tummy and acidity. Thyroid lower than normal. Should I take medication?

Endocrinologist
Question
I had the following symptoms for the past 9-10 months: very heavy menstrual bleeding, sometimes not regular, hairloss, dry hair, bloated tummy, acidity, intolerance to cold and moodswings. Hence I did a thyroid function test. The T4 level(4.080) was a little lower than the normal range(4.87-11.72microgm/dl). However the TSH level(1.417) is in the normal range (0.35-4.94). Should I take any medication? I had consulted a GP who adviced me Thyroxine 12.5 microgram for 3 months after which the T3,T4,TSH levels will be monitored again.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later
I see. Have you started the thyroxine yet? I would like to know

Regardless, I would like to say that in this circumstance it is important to rule out an uncommon condition called secondary hypothyroidism. This requires comprehensive lab testing for

1 TSH
2 Free T4
3 Total T4
4 Total T3
5 T3 resin uptake
6 CBC
7 CMP
8 Prolactin

How has your weight been ?

Follow-up: Having menstrual bleeding, hair loss, dry hair, bloated tummy and acidity. Thyroid lower than normal. Should I take medication? 12 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

I had started loosing weight after my 3rd delivery. I had reached 64 from 74. However, when I checked my weight yesterday, it was 71 kg. I have gained this weight in the last 3 months. also, I am still breastfeeding my 19 month old son.

Thanks and regards,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
You are most welcome.

Have you started the thyroid pill or not?

I strongly encourage you perform these lab tests and see an endocrinologist in person

Follow-up: Having menstrual bleeding, hair loss, dry hair, bloated tummy and acidity. Thyroid lower than normal. Should I take medication? 15 hours later
Dear Doctor,
I have not yet started any medication yet. I wanted to have a 2nd opinion before I start the medication

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
I see. It is important to get the above tests done and see an endocrinologist for thorough evaluation