Having melasma on face. Tried using melaglow, skin lite, triglow and aziderm. Skin tone lightened. Having dark patches. Cure?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Sir,
I m having melasma on my face (big dark patch on cheek) for the past 4 years. I have tried melaglow, skin lite, yugard cream, melalite xl, triglow, aziderm 10%, hyclean, dermz ultra, eve glow etc with suncreen & vitamins capsules which all are prescribed by doctors. My face Skin tone got lightened but no improvements on the dark patches. So the Dark patches visibilty is more now.

Could you please suggest any other best cream available in india to cure the dark patches on my face ?

Skin Colour: Dark Brown
Location: Chennai,India
Gender: Male
Age:27

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 29 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome to health care magic.
I have read your history and seen your picture.
Could you give me some more history so that we have better clarity?
1. Is the patch confined only to one cheek or is it bilateral? ( I see it only on 1 side, but I want to make sure)
2. Do you have any pigmentation in the white of your eye on the same side?
3. Did you have any spots (like moles) in your childhood on the same area which have gradually increased in size to the present state? Are you sure it started only 4 years ago?
4. Did it develop gradually over many months or did it develop over just a few days?
Please reply to my queries so that I can assess better.
Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Having melasma on face. Tried using melaglow, skin lite, triglow and aziderm. Skin tone lightened. Having dark patches. Cure? 43 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Please find my answer below

It is only on my left cheek

No

3. Did you have any spots (like moles) in your childhood on the same area which have gradually increased in size to the present state?
No

Are you sure it started only 4 years ago?
Yes. between 4 - 5 years

Firstly a dark patch occured below left eye (b/w nose & left eye) and then it Gradually developed over many months

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for your reply.
From your history and clinical picture, it seems to me that you are having a condition called as Nevus of Ota. It is a type of mole which develops on one side of te face ,usually adjoining the eye, nose and temple area. It usually occurs in infants and adolescents but delayed onset lesions have also been reported, as in your case.
It does not respond to lightening creams or sunscreens and that is the reason you have not got a good response.
It is known to respond very well to Q switched laser treatments. At least 6 sessions of laser at 4-6 weekly interval is necessary.
You could read about this condition on emedicine.medscape.
Please consult a good dermatologist for further evaluation and treatment.
I hope this helped you.
Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: Having melasma on face. Tried using melaglow, skin lite, triglow and aziderm. Skin tone lightened. Having dark patches. Cure? 11 hours later
Thank you doctor for your response

May I know the causes for this disorder ? Is it genetical disorder?

Any food items that I should avoid?

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 51 minutes later
Hello again XXXXXXX
There is no cause for this disorder. It is a type of a birth XXXXXXX which has a late onset. ( does not appear at birth). It is not genetic.
The pigment producing cells , ie, melanocytes in the skin tend to aggregate in the upper layers of the dermis giving this appearance.
There is absolutely no restriction in food. You can eat everything.
Please consult a good dermatologist and enquire about Q switched Nd- Yag laser.
Even if left alone it will not harm your health in anway. It is only of cosmetic concern.
Hope I have answered your queries.
If you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the same.
Wish you good health.