Having lump in throat and diagnosed as swollen sub mandibular gland. Advise?

ENT Specialist
I have had a lump in my throat for 2 years now. It is located at the v under my jaw bone. I went to see an ENT and he said he thought it was a swollen submandibular gland. My questions to you are:
1. What causes this, if it really is the issue?
2. Why would it be swollen for 2 years?
3. And would regular x-rays show what the lump is, whether it be a swollen gland or cyst?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. There is a chronic sialadenitis due to a stone, stricture of the duct or damage to the gland itself because of chronic infection.

2. Since there is progressive blockage or damage, the gland is swollen for the last 2 years.

3. Besides history (swelling after a meal), clinical examination (palpation, external ballotment), there are many tests which may be done to check if it is the sub mandibular salivary gland or a lymph node or cyst. It depends upon whether you want to preserve the gland or not. Some patients get the gland removed. X-rays may reveal a stone in the duct. A Neck sonography USG), FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology), MRI/CT Scan, Nuclear Scan.

4. Sialendosocpy is a new option.

Awaiting your reply,

Follow-up: Having lump in throat and diagnosed as swollen sub mandibular gland. Advise? 2 days later
For the past 3 weeks I have been taking Vytoin 10-20 mg once daily, Metoprolol succer 50 mg once daily and Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg twice a day, fish oil, and omega 3 fatty acid 2000 mg twice a day for blood pressure, high chlorestoral, and high triglycerides. The lump is receding quite a bit now since then. Is this a coincidence? Or is this medicine helping the submandibular gland somehow? This is really weird, since it has stayed the same for 2 years until now.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. This seems to be a coincidence. There is no direct relationship between decrease in the size of a submandibular salivary gland and your medication.

2. The only rare possibility that I think is possible is a reduction of any fatty infiltration in and around the gland, if it exists.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.