Having lower back problem. Arms and hands hurt very bad. Hands are swollen and numb. What can this be?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Quick back round on my health issue, it may be relevant. I have a lower back problem, have been through all the tests and need a ADR and a fusion, lower back. I'm on a pain management schedule of 9 compounded hydrocodones a day.
My issue now, the past two weeks my arms and hands have been hurting very bad, to describe the pain,,, like small electrical tingling starting in forearm going to fingertips. hands feel swollen, aches all the time, can't sleep because of it, they feel numb, it's almost hard to explain
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

According to your symptoms it looks like there is compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine. This leads to numbness and tingling in your hand.

When such patient comes to my hospital we usually take x XXXXXXX spine to see for severity of nerve compression.
Another differential can be nerve compression due to disc bulge which may need MRI for confirmation.

Medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor.
You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS ,or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.

Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises.
Also check your vit B12 and vit D3 in your blood.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.