Having lower abdomen hernia. What should I do?

I am having lower abdomen hernia. need to know what to do next?
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 1 hour later

It is not very clear from your query about where the hernia is exactly. Since you have mentioned it is in the lower abdomen, I presume that it is near to your groin.

If it is a small hernia, it is usually asymptomatic and you will need to monitor it. You can wear ‘trusses’ which can help in supporting the area of herniation. If the hernia is bigger and non-reducible, surgery will be the option. Watch out for severe pain which occurs when there is strangulation of the blood supply. It would be better to get examined by a Surgeon first, to decide the course of action. Meanwhile, some supportive measures you could do are as follows.

- Prevent activities like lifting weights and coughing.
- Eat fibre XXXXXXX food like fruits and vegetables to prevent constipation.
- Drink at least 2-3 litres of water per day.
- Have frequent smaller meals rather than having large meals occasionally.

By the way, hernias are very well repairable with the modern methods. So don’t worry, and visit a Surgeon near to you.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.