Having low sperm motility problem.Taking Maxoza and Q car. Proper medication?

Mar 2013
Dear doctors,
I am having a Low sperm motility problem which is around 7% though count is around 90million.
Doctors advised me for Maxoza and Q car Forte tablets and for last 20days m taking it. I found my general immunity is good now, which was virtually low earlier i.e. before starting the referred medicines. We are trying for the last 7 years.
Kindly suggest what else can I do to get sperm motility be increased. Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later

Sperm motility identifies how well the sperm move. For conception to occur, sperm must be able to swim through cervical mucus, across the uterus and out into the fallopian tubes to reach the egg. If motility drops below 50 percent, potential problems may exist. This is called hypoasthenospermia, and exists in your case. In fact your sperm motility is extremely low and this will compromise your fertility also.

Before starting any medication , I would recommend a visit to a Urologist/ XXXXXXX at the earliest. Causes of decreased sperm motiliy vary right from genetic causes, infections, hormonal deficiencies, smoking/drug ingestion, age related changes, physical blockages, varicoceles, or erectile/ejaculatory problems. Other reasons are : Infections, High fever, Usage of illegal drugs, Alcohol consumption, Congenital testicular abnormalities, Varicocele – Enlargement of veins within the scrotum. Toxin exposure , Cigarette smoke , organic solvents etc.
A thorough physical checkup and appropriate further testing is necessary to establish the cause.

Also, sometimes, only in certain conditions, fertility enhancing medication and antioxidants might improve your semen motility. It is essential to know the cause of the problem, before starting any treatment. Also, a repeat semen analysis after 3 - 4 weeks is recommended, in order to establish that the report is abnormal, if only one report shows this abnormality

Looking at the current situation, the chances for natural conception are low, though not impossible, because both normal sperm count and motility are essential for pregnancy. If you are trying to conceive unsuccessfully for more than a year, I would suggest going in for ART ( assisted reproductive technologies ). This includes both IUI ( intra uterine insemination ) and IVF ( in vitro fertilization ). However, in your case, you can definitely try for IUI first, as it is less invasive and less costly.

For this, engage the services of a reputed Infertility Practitioner, who would evaluate you thoroughly , before going in for one or two cycles of IUI , which if failed, you should undergo IVF. It is important to have basic tests of the female also done, including tubal patency and ovulation studies, as well as hormonal evaluation.

Please go for a karyotype ( chromosomal evaluation ) also, as certain latent chromosomal disorders cause abnormal semen analysis reports, and these can be passed on to your offspring in case conception occurs.

Meanwhile, avoid tight clothing/exposure to radiation/ working in hot environments for prolonged periods.
Avoid smoking/alcohol/tobacco consumption in any form/drugs/ exposure to organic solvents or radiation.
Maintain an ideal body weight, and exercise regularly.
There is no specific treatment available to increase sperm motility.
However, certain supplements are said to be beneficial in increasing sperm motility :

Vitamin E protects the body against free radicals and unstable molecules that can damage our reproductive system..

Another effective approach is through eating the right foods. Zinc XXXXXXX foods such as oysters, help improve motility and maximize semen volume. Other food groups that are XXXXXXX in zinc include liver, lean red meat, nuts and grains. Selenium is used by testes to make selenoprotiens, a vital protein used to boost semen production. Examples of selenium XXXXXXX food are eggs, brewers yeast, brazil nuts, seafoods and garlic.

Sperm production uses an amino acid called L-carnitine. Medical reports show that sperm motility and quality are enhanced within the span of 4 months by increasing the intake of amino acid L-carnitine. Food groups that are XXXXXXX in L-carnitine are lean meat, and dairy products.

Herbs like maca root and ginger have been used by traditional Chinese and South American medicine to prevent infertility in men.

There are no magical drugs or potions that directly increase sperm motility. COntinue taking the supplements as advised, and make necessary dietary modifications.

However, for fertility point of view, please consider an IUI.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.