Having low BP, getting palpitation and feeling dizzy. Have headache. What can be done?

Question
My blood pressure tends to run low - 90/60 is about average. I've not felt well yesterday and today - palpitations, slightly dizzy. I've been told I have a murmur. My blood pressure has gone from 90/54 to 90/84. Am I just getting myself all upset? Should I find a doctor? I take no meds. I often take vitamins but have not today. I have a headache but have not taken aspirin either.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The normal blood pressure is considered to be 120/80. A blood pressure PERSISTENTLY lower than 90/60 is considered hypotension (low blood pressure). This is usually accompanied by symptoms like weakness, fainting, palpitations and syncope, but could be without symptoms in some people if not very severe.

There are normal fluctuations in the body with respect to blood pressure. A confirmation of low blood pressure is therefore important to be made. This depends on taking the blood pressure with a good machine, under appropriate conditions (rest for at least 5 minutes) which should be persistently low for two to three times. It preferable if done by the same person using the same equipment.

Confirmation of this will compel a consultation with the cardiologist for further testing (ECG and cardiac Ultrasound) to characterize it after undertaking a proper clinical evaluation. This shall then orient diagnosis.

I strongly suggest you consult your physician for this to either be confirmed or refuted. Thanks and best regards. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be. Be well.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Having low BP, getting palpitation and feeling dizzy. Have headache. What can be done? 1 hour later
I have had the low blood pressure all my life - that is not a new thing. It has dropped lower than usual... 80/35 yesterday - but I started feeling really bad when the numbers got so close - the 90/84. I was concerned I should go to an ER the way I felt. It sounds like it's nothing to be concerned about - just my regular low blood pressure. I was concerned my murmur was worse or something.
I took a hot bath with Epsom salts - a doctor told me once it can help bring up my pressure when I feel bad - and I think I feel better.
Thanks for answering the question - glad it's nothing to worry about.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I think you should be patient and respect your normal appointments. For now, you need not worry.

Thanks and best regards. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Wishing you good health,

Luchuo, MD.