Having longer and irregular periods after mtp kit. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello, I used the mtp kit on sep. 10. Then I had a longer than normal period. It was sep. 17 thru the 27th. Today is the 26th and I havent started it yet. Is there a possibility that I bled long enough for this month as well? Also, is it normal to not have a regular period after?
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later

After having medical abortion some amount of spotting can be seen for one to two weeks depending on the gestational age at which you took the tablets, presence of retained products etc.
As during abortion the endometrium sheds along with products of conception, it will take time for the regeneration of the endometrium and for regularization of hormonal levels.
The time taken to start the periods after abortion vary from person to person and it can range from weeks to few months.
So possibly your periods may delay. Once you start getting periods usually next periods will come regularly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Having longer and irregular periods after mtp kit. Is this normal? 1 hour later
Dr. Gouri,

Thank you for answering my question. I have one follow up question. I had sexual intercourse after the abortion. They did the screening for the ultrasound about 2 weeks later. Is there a possibility that I could be pregnant again and they did not see the fetus because it was too early on the ultrasound? Thank you so much for your advice.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Yes, if you had unprotected intercourse there is a possibility of pregnancy.
As I told previously the time taken to the returning of menstruation and ovulation varies from person to person and that depends on previous gestational age and hormonal levels.
So if your ovulation returned early and you had intercourse around that time then there is the possibility of pregnancy.
Ultrasound cannot detect 2 weeks of pregnancy.
So now you can go for blood test for pregnancy which will rule out the possibility.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.