Having leg pain which started as a lower back pain. Underlying cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a right side leg pain ( one sided ) from the past few months. Initially started as a lower back pain. Hence I had gone for a executive medical checkup very recently. I need a consultation
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in the lower back with pain in right leg is likely to be due to a muscular sprain or a disc prolapse. First you need to assess the severity of the situation. Get an MRI done if not done already. That will give us a fair idea of the location and severity of slipped disc if any and the possible outcome. Then accordingly a plan can be formulated in terms of treatment.
Meanwhile, you may do 'back strengthening exercises', unfortunately those are difficult to explain in words and beyond the scope of this answer. But that you can learn from your physiotherapist or from images on internet. These exercises are the only long term insurance you have from similar attacks in future, and dont forget they have their limitations. Things you should avoid are long distance traveling, sitting in a particular position for long time (do regular stretching in hourly intervals), avoid forward bending and lifting heavy objects, and foremost do not self medicate.
Do get some mild pain killers and muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician for immediate relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having leg pain which started as a lower back pain. Underlying cause? 14 hours later
I have attached my reports. Request you to advice on the same. Is there any thing that is relatd to my back pain and leg pain on the report
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen all your reports. These are not related to the back pain that you are having. The mild rise in alkaline phosphatase might be due to a vitamin D3 deficiency causing the pain.
You need to consult an orthopedician for proper prescriptions after an examination. If the pain is persistent, then MRI scan of back is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.