Having leg pain, numbness, tingling across buttocks, weakness and coccxy pain after an injury. Pelvis and hip xray normal

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am currently experiencing leg pain and numbness, tingling across buttocks, weakness and coccxy pain. Injured in a fall 10 days ago. currently waiting on ct scan for sciatic nerve diagnosis. How do I know when to panic. It feels like it is all getting better one hour and then increasingly painful with all the symptoms the next. Certainly worse at times than when originally injured. Day of injury I had a pelvis and hip xray which was clear. But in another state then flew home.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your description it seems that you are having a minor nerve root compression without any fracture that is causing the symptoms.
Signs of worsening of symptoms are- pain causing disability, numbness, weakness in the limbs, loss of urinary or bowel control.

When the symptoms get worse, kindly visit an Orthopedician or a Spine surgeon.

The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.