Having knee pain unable to sit cross legged. X-ray done. Looking for suggestion

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mom is not able to sit cross-legged.Uses hand to move legs, at times. Has pain in one of the knees. What could be the problem? What could be infered from the attached X-ray?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
The attached X-ray is almost normal. It is showing mild age related osteoporotic changes.
The pain in the knees and not being able to sit cross legged is related to osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now she can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
She can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of a physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than the knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having knee pain unable to sit cross legged. X-ray done. Looking for suggestion 5 minutes later
So, do you mean she has signs of arthritis and osteoporosis? Are there chances of progression?

Also, where are those osteoporotic and osteoarthritic changes (which part of the body shown in X-ray)? Or rather which part of the body needs to be further taken care of?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. She has signs of osteoporosis shown by a generalized decreased bone density on X-ray. These changes are progressive in nature.
You need to take care of her knees under the guidance of a qualified orthopedician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Having knee pain unable to sit cross legged. X-ray done. Looking for suggestion 3 minutes later
Thanks, but my last query and a detailed response is requested.

Is her X-ray showing arthritic changes on the knees or any other joint?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It is an X-ray of both hip joints. Knee joints are not visualized.
The thinning of bone cortex is noted in both the femurs.
The arthritis changes of the knee can be visualized on X-ray or MRI scan of knee joints.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards