Having itchy hands and feet at night and suffer frequent urination. What to do?

Itchy hands and feet at night plus frequent urination at night
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I have questions for you first:
1. Have you ever been diagnosed with diabetes?
2. When did the itching start?
3. Do you have any swelling in your feet?

Thank you.
Follow-up: Having itchy hands and feet at night and suffer frequent urination. What to do? 19 hours later
No, I have never been diagnosed with diabetes. My sugar on my last physical (December, 2012) was 5.5 and the doctor said it should be between 5 and 7.

The itching has been going on for a few weeks. It itches on my feet, fingers, ankles and neck.

No, I do not normally have swelling in my feet, unless I have eaten an exceptionally high amount of salty food. The swelling goes down overnight,
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Thank you for the followup. The symptom of itch hands and feet is actually not terribly uncommon. The problem that arises is that there are a large number of potential causes:

Kidney disease
Liver disease
Thyroid disease
Blood diseases
Bowel diseases
Vitamin D deficiency
Vitamin B12 deficiency

Here is what I would recommend. You need to contact your doctor and an exam and the following labs should be performed:
1. Blood counts
2. Liver tests
3. Thyroid tests
4. Vitamin D and B12 levels
5. Tests of kidney function

If these tests are all normal, then you should be referred to a dermatologist. The frequency of urination at night and occasional swelling in your legs might point to kidney disease or problems with your heart. I hope that this helps and good luck!