Having itchy feet. Scratched till bleeding. What to do?

Hi, I have very itchy feet, so itchy that I have often scratched until they were bleeding. I keep them moisturized because if i do not the skin becomes hard and then cracks

Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 47 minutes later

Thanks for writing to healthcare magic. Itchy feet is a common condition. It tends to affect females more than males. Itchy feet is a symptom and many underlying causes are responsible for it. Common one include eczema, psoriasis, ring worm, contact allergies to detergents, soaps, etc. In your case, cause seems to be either eczema or contact allergies. We all have prolonged exposures to many allergens in our day to day life like socks, detergents etc. Regular exposure to them leads to transepidermal water loss, making skin dry. This further causes cracked feet and itching. Exposure to environmental factors like dust leads to secondary infection further worsening condition.

Treatment depends upon cause. But it is always not possible to rule out cause in all cases. In such cases maintenance treatment is required to prevent relapse. Soak the feet in hot water at night for 5 to 10 minutes. You can add a pinch of salt in it. Apply bland emollient like white soft paraffin instead of moisturizing cream. For cracks and itching, you can apply a steroid salicylic acid combination under the guidance of your doctor. Wear cotton socks after applying creams. It will help in better absorption of medicines. You can take oral antihistaminics if required. Avoid using creams at day time which will lead to stickiness and dust particles will be attached leading to more itching. Avoid contact with harsh soaps and detergents.

I hope this can solve your problem. If you have any concerns, please let me know. I am ready to help you. Thanks.
Follow-up: Having itchy feet. Scratched till bleeding. What to do? 28 minutes later
I had been bathing my feet in salty water, putting on cream and wearing socks along with taking antihestimines. I still have very itchy feet
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 3 hours later

Thanks for follow up. Are you already applying any steroid salisylic acid combination? If no, then you can try one like diprovate s ointment. If you are already applying it and still no relief, then it will be important to go for histopathological diagnosis. Since many scaly plantar lesions look same, skin biopsy will establish a correct diagnosis.