Having irregular periods. Reason?

Hi I am 47 and have had irregular periods for about 12 months(coming 4-6-7 weekly light/heavy. This last period was two weeks ago and now I find I am bleeding......I am a bit concerned.....any possible explanations....
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 26 minutes later
I believe what you are going through is menopause. At 47, you are in peri menopause age group. There are hormonal changes occurring in your body that is causing the irregular cycles. This process may take up to a year before you achieve complete cessation of menses.

On the other hand, one needs to rule out any uterine pathology like fibroid and adenomyosis. You should get an ultrasound of the pelvis first. Any pathology like mentioned above can be easily treated. I suggest you see your doctor and get the ultrasound done first and go from there. If it is normal then these are menopausal changes and can be managed too.