Having irregular periods. After how many days after intercourse will I have periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I have been married for 4 months now and have a few queries related to pregnancy .After how many days of intercourse should i ideally get my periods given that my periods are irregular . I had intercourse 14 days back and have'nt got my periods yet. since my periods are usually irregular ,what is the cycle i can wait for before going for a test
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
WAIT 7 DAYS BEFORE GOING TO PREGNANCY TEST.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query. Followings are my comments:

1) With irregular period, it is quite difficult to predict your upcoming period date. However, it is better to investigate properly to rule out the underlying causes of irregular period like hormonal imbalance, ovarian cyst (or PCOD), hypothyroidism, over weight, irregular diet habit, emotional upset/ stress, high prolactin, pelvic infection etc.

It will be worthwhile if you undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan and hormone test in case of negative pregnancy test. Proper treatment can be made according to diagnosis and underlying etiology.

2) As you did sexual intercourse 14 days ago, you must wait at least 7 days before going to home pregnancy test due to have irregular period previously.

For confirmation of pregnancy, you can undergo one blood test for beta-hCG following above test.

Hope, I have guided you properly. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having irregular periods. After how many days after intercourse will I have periods? 42 minutes later
Thank you so much for the clarification Dr.Soumen .
Based on your suggestions i will take a home preg test next sunday in case i dont get my periods during this time if it is the ideal time for it or should i take it earlier ?

Even though my periods are generally irregular most of the months they happen around the last wk of evry month . I get symptoms almost week before it happens but this time i have'nt come across any such till now .

Answered by Dr. S Patra 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DO HOME PREGNANCY TEST ON NEXT SUNDAY.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

1) Yes, you undergo one home pregnancy test on next Sunday. It will be benefited for you as you have irregular date. You must take morning urine sample for getting accurate result.

2) Home pregnancy test gives positive result around 95% when it is tested 2 weeks after ovulation or around missed due date. 96-99% positive result is achieved when pregnancy test is done after one week of missed due date.

Lastly, I suggest you some healthy measures which may help to get regular period like:

1) Take balanced diet with more green vegetables and avoid fatty foods
2) Do regular physical exercise to control or reduce body weight.
3) Avoid mental stress or depression by regular meditation or yoga.
4) Drink more water or fluid and keep bowel habit regular. Take sound sleep.

Additionally, you must take folic acid and vitamin supplements for at least 3 months in pre-pregnant state. It will be beneficial for development of better fetal nervous system and avoid Fetal Neural Tube defect disorder in early week of pregnancy.

Hope, it helps for you. If you don't have any clarification, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having irregular periods. After how many days after intercourse will I have periods? 18 minutes later
Is it possible for pregnancy to happen if my husband pulled out before ejaculation . What is the method to make sure that sperms dint enter me in the pre-ejaculation stage ,are there any hints to recongnize that

Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FAILURE RATE OF PULLED OUT METHOD IS 27%.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your additional query.

Yes, you may become pregnant with pulled out method prior to ejaculation due to presence of sperm in pre-ejaculatory fluid. However, it depends on ovulation day or fertile period. Failure rate with pulled out method is around 27%.

It is quite difficult to make sure whether sperm does not enter inside vagina from pre-ejaculation stage. However, it is better to use condom for extra protection or avoid fertile days (from D11 to D22 of irregular period 30-35 days).

Hope, it helps for you. Kindly, close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having irregular periods. After how many days after intercourse will I have periods? 47 hours later
How can i differentiate between pregnancy and period symptoms .lately as of now i feel nausea early morning when i get up,same kind of nausea when i drink any milk products or even the taste or smell of ghee which i liked previously .i am also experiencing a lot of fatigue nowadays and difficulty in sitting at same place for a long time .
pls help in identifying the possible reasons behind this and what r d remedial measures i can take

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DO ONE HOME PREGNANCY TEST.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up response.

First of all, above symptoms are mostly resembled with early pregnancy and it is better to go for one home pregnancy test if you really feel these now. It helps to clear doubts.

Secondly, period symptoms are quite similar but more with backache, headache, breast tenderness, bloating, abdominal cramp, constipation etc.

Here, I suggest to confirm pregnancy first without 7 days waiting which I have told you earlier. Take dry food like biscuit or puffed rice, avoid bitter smell or bad smell food stuff, drink plenty of water/ fruit juice and take adequate rest.

You can consult with me after undergoing the pregnancy test tomorrow and take morning urine sample as much as possible.

Hope, above information is helpful to you. Feel free to ask anything.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having irregular periods. After how many days after intercourse will I have periods? 2 days later
Hello doctor as suggested i did home pregnancy test on Monday morning result is negative .

could u advise on what further steps i need to take . Do i need to do a test again if its required how many days should i wait . Also pls advise how many times can the device be used

Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
REPEAT THE TEST AFTER 1 WK. FOLLOW ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

If you got negative result on Monday pregnancy test, then you may repeat the test after one week for confirmation. Pregnancy test kit is used for once time only.

In the mean time, you would follow my earlier advice and take these food stuff to get period. Foods include broccoli, fennel seeds, salmon fish (rich in vitamin D & calcium), green vegetables (like spinach, brinjal etc), fish or fish oil (rich in omega-3 fatty acid), almonds, sesame seeds, yoghurt dairy product, soy milk, boiled egg, red or black grapes, tofu or paneer etc. These are quite helpful to get early & regular period.

Next thing, if you still don't get your period (after one week), you need to take hormonal medication, mainly progesterone (like norethisterone) to induce period. For prescription, you may consult with local doctor.

Hope, it helps for you. All the best.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Having irregular periods. After how many days after intercourse will I have periods? 22 minutes later
Thanks for the advice ,as suggested i will repeat the test next week once more . Meanwhile ,I would like to keep you informed that i tried drinking milk today,felt the nausea but dint throw up . The nausea is really troubling me which makes me get very disturbed ,neither i throw up nor the feeling goes down .

How can i control the feeling ? what may be the reasons for it ,if not pregnancy .
In case the next test also results in negative , will that test be enough or should i take any more tests in case of no periods

Answered by Dr. S Patra 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

1) First, you need to wait one week to get period naturally and if you don't get it, you must repeat the home pregnancy test with morning urine sample.

Additionally, you can undergo one blood test for beta-hCG level if above symptoms persist till then. It is a more confirmatory test for pregnancy.

2) Nausea may be due to indigestion problem, stress or anxiety, imagination of being pregnant, bitter or bad smell foods etc. Give more concentration on the thing you most like (reading, watching movie, listening music etc). Do regular meditation for 15-30 min for stress relief.

You can take ONDEM or ONDEM-MD (ondensetron) medication to eliminate this type of problem. Take balanced diet and drink more water or fruit juice to get effective result.

Hope, I guided you properly. If you have any query, you can ask any time in the follow up section.

Dr Soumen