Having irregular period. Started bleeding after having intercourse. What could be causing this?

May 2013
My lady friend is having occasions wher she experiences untimely bleeding. We had intercourse last night at around eleven o'clock. She just informed me from work that she started bleeding......she just completed a cycle a week ago. Also, she's forty-five years old.....Is there anything you can gather based on the information I gave you?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

The possible causes of her bleeding are:
-Local lesions like cervical erosion, polyp etc.
-Post-coital tear
-Hormonal imbalance causing inter-menstrual bleeding.
-Dry vaginal mucosa due to decreased estrogen levels.
So you advice her to consult gynecologist once and get examined.
If the doctor suggests she can go for an ultrasound and hormonal study. By this the possible cause of her problem can be made out and treatment can be given.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.