Having hole in ear drum. What precaution should I take?

ENT Specialist
Hi,I am having hole in my right ear drum. Because of this I am facing lot of unusual sounds in my ear. Could you help me what are the precautions need to be taken. And I am planning to take ear surgery in after two months.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

The unusual sounds following perforation of the ear drum could be the tinnitus. This happens when the sounds hit the oval window in the middle ear without getting deflected by the ear drum. Tinnitus is also noticed if there is any ongoing infection in the middle ear or damage to the sensitive nerves in the inner ear. Reduced hearing is due to partial loss of ear drum, wherein the drum does not vibrate efficiently as it used to do when it was normal.

Ear has to be examined and certain investigations has to be performed to find out the cause of tinnitus and subsequent management.

There are no medications which can help in closing the perforation. Surgery is the treatment of choice.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Having hole in ear drum. What precaution should I take? 10 hours later
What are the precautions I need to take while having the ear drum hole. I am planning to have surgery by after six months, upto that what the necessary things I need to take.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back

1.     You need to avoid water entering into the affected ear, you can use silicone ear plugs just before taking shower. Hence swimming and diving is not advised.
2.     Do not use ear phones with full volume; this will damage the nerves in the inner ear.
3.     Avoid any sorts of ear drops, unless advised by the doctor.
4.     Do not try to clean the ear by yourself.
5.     If you catch cold, consult your doctor immediately. Avoid any sorts of ear infection; this will enhance the success rate following surgery.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon