Having high blood pressure and overweight. Suggest with regards to diet?

I have high blood pressure & overweight I was wondering if there is a good take I drink 3 1.5 L of water a day & also what kind of health shakes & snacks like granola bars should I eat.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
no, there is no weight loss pill

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query.

It is very important to reduce weight as overweight and hypertension are all cardiovascular risk factors that would predispose to cardiovascular events such as strokes, myocardial infarction, renal failure etc.

Like i mentioned in the short answer section, there is nothing like a weight loss pill. Weight loss depends on the difference between calory in take and calory consumption. If you take in more calories than you use up, you will definitely gain weight.

To loose weight, you have to be very determined and follow your program strictly. The following are few ways of loosing weight.
-Eat less of carbohydrates such as cereals, wheat derieved foods etc
-eat more of vegetables such as spinach, cabbages etc
-Have three meals per day and during each meal avoid much carbohydrates, fatty and oily food stuff etc.
-avoid snacks be it fruit juices or fast foods as such stuff usually have high sugar content and would increase your calory intake.
-exercises are also a good way of burning up calories and avoiding sedentary lifestyle is very important.
- Alcohol should be prevented if you do consume it.
-Since you are hypertensive, you do not need much water intake as your system due to hypertension normally retains water thus intake of much water would rather make your hypertension to be poorly controlled.

The issue of health shakes or snacks is more psychological. The essential thing in weight loss is to limit calory intake by having a defined number of meals per day and during each taking less calory food ( more of vegetables and fruits except pears and bananas) and doing exercises.
In order to succeed, you need to be very determined because if you are not, you will rather gain weight.

Also, you could talk with friends, colleagues, children, wife or those around you so they could also support you through. More so, meeting a dietitian in your location could also be important.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to answer.
Best regards