Ask a Urologist   »  

Having high BP. Hiccups occurs, vomiting started and dialysis done. Looking for proper treatment

My Father has a Long High BP history since past 15 years, He was not taking medicines for long then one day in 2010 hiccups occurs and vomiting started he was admitted to a Nearby hospital where he was diagnosed for low Sodium level, he was given treatment but in meantime his prostrate problem appeared, due to this and High BP his kidney got effected and dialysis was done on his kidney.(Hospital Discharge card attached and reports of that times)

After that prostrate operation was done, Since then he has not taken any Kidney medicines and only his BP is getting cured and monitored by doctor. Now his Createnin level is normal since more than two years.
But still he is facing urine problem where there is retention of urine also his urine comes out automatically.(I have attached Ultra Sound report and Urine Xrays) In between Thyroid problem also appears and he is taking medicine for the same.
Now due to this urine problem his Hernia on Right Side has develop which is also creating lot of problem in day to day activities. Now a day he is facing the problem of burning sensation in his Anus passage and in one leg. Also urine is coming out more often. Please advice how should I start the treatment and also refer some good hospitals and doctor for operating of Hernia and curing of these illnesses.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 8 hours later
Saw the reports uploaded and feel strongly that your father could be having retention of urine due to either bladder outlet obstruction (cause may be stricture of urethra or contracture of bladder neck post op TURP or rarely regrowth of prostate) or more likely he may be having an underactive bladder muscle. If the former, he may need evaluation by urethral calibration / cystoscopy, and proceed accordingly. If on the other hand there is no mechanical obstruction, he may be having no power in the detrusor muscle of the bladder and he is unable to push out urine the way otherwise healthy individuals would do, and some urine would leak in what we call overflow incontinence. This may need to be confirmed by a urodynamic evaluation. As you seem to be staying in vicinity of Lucknow, SGPGIMER is a very good facility and you can approach them for further evaluation. Hernia should ideally be tackled after ruling out obstruction as a recurrence of hernia is a significant possibility if the patient continues to strain to void urine after the hernia operation. The renal function also needs to be re-evaluated.
Hope I have been of assistance.