Having headache, itchy and painful eyelids. How to get rid of this?

Allergist and Immunologist
Off late have itchy eyelids specially on the corners. Sometimes i see small water like bubble on eyelids which come and go. Teary and painful red eyes. Usually this happens in the evening with mild headache/ temperature around eyes or forehead.Small bubble/bump are dot sized and comes and goes 1 - 3 in number. Both eyes. Feel better if i take alot sleep or rest/ wash eyes with water. Can you help?
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 5 hours later

Thank you for writing to us.

It appears that the symptoms would fit in with papillary conjunctivitis.
It is sometime so big it is called giant papillary conjunctivitis.
Allergies such as pollen allergy, animal dander or mould allergens are a trigger in some people and often called vernal keratoconunctivitis (VKC).
Occasionally contact lens (this is not seen with soft hydrogel ones) can trigger this conjunctivitis, so make sure you are not wearing one of those.

Treatment involves: (1) removal of trigger; (2) steroid eye drops
But make sure this is checked with an Ophthalmologist first. Never apply steroid drops to the eye without checking with an Ophthalmologist.
Occasionally, olopatadine (mast cell inhibitor) eye drops help.

Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Having headache, itchy and painful eyelids. How to get rid of this? 1 hour later
Thanks for response. Just to be clear. Little water like dots are on eyelid margin. I dont wear any lenses or glasses. I will check with a doctor, but was anxious to get answer before. Do you still think it is the same? Is it something worry some? I dont have any pets too. Also clear bubbles come on upper and lower lid.
Forgot to mention, sometimes eyelid on outer corner sting ... What i mean is they try too blink on their own slightly may be for a minute or few seconds...
Also let me know if there is an option upload picture for easy diagnosis
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 15 hours later

Your symptoms would still suggest the same diagnosis.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that. Or else, you can send the images to YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attn: Dr. Sujoy". I will be able to check that and advise accordingly.

Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Having headache, itchy and painful eyelids. How to get rid of this? 4 hours later
Thanks doc. I have attached the photo in upload reports section. Please check
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 28 minutes later

Very helpful pictures indeed... Thanks for uploading.

The white bit of the eye is normal, and therefore not conjunctivitis. The eyelid margins are not swollen, so not palpebral or papillary either.

They do look like normal lymphatic ducts that drain away secretions. The itching and stinging would suggest a mild allergy that could be due to any aeroallergens as mentioned earlier.

But overall given the current picture of the eye, I would NOT do anything.

If redness of the white bit starts or the eye itches, you can take antihistamines under the guidance of your nearest doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Best Wishes
Follow-up: Having headache, itchy and painful eyelids. How to get rid of this? 51 minutes later
Thanks for quick response. Im bit concerned about the clear pimple which you see in the picture and teary eyes. I have not faced anything like this before.
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 22 minutes later
It does like an early bacterial infection (stye) and would recommend warm compresses for 10 minutes; and do this maximum four times a day. This is because you are worried as styes generally heal/drain on their own.

An antibiotic cream is currently not indicated.

Definitely see a doctor if the infection spreads to other follicles; does not heal; you start having any vision problems; crusting of eyelid or the white of the eye becomes red.

I hope I was of some help.

Best Wishes
Follow-up: Having headache, itchy and painful eyelids. How to get rid of this? 9 days later
Thanks. It does clear up on warm compress and relieves the tearness in the eyes. But, it does come back sometimes. What can be done to avoid it all together
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later
Many thanks for the update.
Oral doxycycline (tetracycline) antibiotic is given that provides a relatively long-term cure for stye.
Topical antibiotic creams also work and you will need a prescription for either of these drugs.

Best Wishes.