Having gagging sensation in the throat, needing to burp but unable to do so. Had acid reflux. Suggestion?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am continuing to get a slight gagging sensation at the base of the throat, I would describe it as needing to burp but being unable to do so.
Could this be a throat-related issue or more likely a gastroesophageal issue. I've had some acid reflux as seen by ENT in the past and wonder could be it be related?

Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 10 days later
Hi XXXXXXX

As per your description, the issue seems to be acid reflux. This can happen due to various causes including irregular eating habits, stress among other things.

Firstly, please avoid (rather completely ignore and stop) trying to clear your throat. This can irritate the mucosa of the throat and create more problem. It is like scratching on a wound which is trying to heal. Once you can avoid doing that, things will improve a lot.

Secondly, follow some of these steps to help you prevent the reflux.

1. Avoid smoking, excessive coffee, alcohol and too much spicy food.
2. The gap between your last meal and the time you go to bed should be at least two hours.
3.Use a pillow (if you are comfortable use one extra than you usually use) so that you prevent the acid entering your throat when you lie down.
4. Avoid stress
5. Try taking over the counter available anti acidity medicine for one week.

Most important is to avoid focus on the throat and trying to clear it often. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Sreenivasan

Follow-up: Having gagging sensation in the throat, needing to burp but unable to do so. Had acid reflux. Suggestion? 10 hours later
Hi Dr. Sreenivasan,

Thanks for the information and likely diagnosis. Could I just clarify what you mean by clearing the throat, as I don't cough to clear it.

Would you recommend antacids firstly before trying other things like zantac and nexium?

Thanks,
Regards.

Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 14 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

You could use Zantac and Nexium for a week if they are available over the counter. They help in reducing the acid secretions from the stomach. Also they provide a longer relief than antacids. You do not need to take antacids along with them. Especially in cases of reflux conditions, they are better.

Your description of 'needing to burp but unable to do so' is what I meant by your constant focus on throat and trying to burp, make hawking attempts etc for clearing your throat. If you do not constantly clear your throat, that is good! Please follow the rest of the instructions carefully and it should help you.

Sreenivasan

Follow-up: Having gagging sensation in the throat, needing to burp but unable to do so. Had acid reflux. Suggestion? 2 days later
Hi Dr. Sreenivasan,

Thanks for the clarification. I should also mention that I do sometimes actually burp legitimately and wonder whether that also has the equivalent effect as the 'hawking' attempts in slowing the healing.

Thanks,
Best regards,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Anything done legitimately and spontaneously is fine and in fact unavoidable. Do not do them consciously and focusing on that act only. But when you say 'needing to burp and unable to do so' it means you are focusing on the act which should be avoidable.

Dr Sreenivasan