Having frequent seizures attacks lately. Was told to have myasthenia gravis. What tests to undergo?

I have been having seizures Iately. They began about six months ago about 5-6 weeks apart. Recently, they have been happening nearly daily, sometimes twice or three times a day. Sometimes although rarely I lose conscienciousness. I don't know if its because I hit my head when I fall or from the seizure itself. I was told I had myasthenia gravis several years ago. I didn't believe it and have done nothing to help it if I do have it. What tests should I get? Do I need a specialist?
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: YES,brain scan,drugs and neurologist support Detailed Answer: Hi, I had gone through your query and understand your concerns. I see similar cases amongst people who visit my clinic and first advice I give them is to take care of themselves and be aware in nearby surroundings as the seizure attacks can come while you are in traffic or driving, to prevent any external injuries. The second thing to do is to have some anti seizure medicines started with prescription from a neurologist/physician as soon as possible to stop new seizure episodes. The third and the most important thing to do is to find the cause of the seizures, for which you require a thorough brain CT/MRI scan to see for any lesions in brain tissue or some parasitic infection like cysticersosis etc. which require anti parasitic medications. You also require a routine blood checkup to see for any raise or fall in certain cells in blood which point towards any parasitic infection. YES you surely need a specialist to deal with this problem. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS