Having frequent loose motions. Suggest medicine and diet?

Jun 2015

Hello doctor,

I am having frequent loose motions since yesterday night. I haven't had any food due to this. Could you please recommend a medication for curing me of this ailment and also suggest what food should i have now. I am thinking of having white rice with curd. Is that a good option?

Thanks in advance
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Frequent loose motions can be attributed to Gastroenteritis, which is usually viral in origin.
However, bacterial cause can be suspected if there is associated pain abdomen, fever, vomiting, etc.

The reason for concern with loose motions is the loss of body water & electrolytes, which has to be replenished with fluids & ORS.

In case bacterial infection is suspected, I usually treat my patients with:
1. Combination of Norfloxacin+Tinidazole tablets twice a day.
2. Dicyclomine+Paracetamol preparations twice a day.

So, kindly consult your Physician and get a prescription for the medications.

White rice with curd is a good option. Curd is a source of probiotic which is beneficial.
Other than that, have a soft, non-spicy diet & maintain adequate hydration status.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.
Wish you good health & a speedy recovery.
Thanks & take care.