Having fluttering sensation and constant pain in calf muscle. Concerned for neurological problem

Question
For the past 12 hours I have had a constant muscle "cramp" in my calf ( muscle closest to the tibia) t feels much deeper than a regular cramp. The only way I can describe it is a fluttering feeling for one second, off for a few and repeat that all day. It does not hurt. I am concerned about some sort of neurological problem. Or a potential blood clot. Last year I had a migraine that resembled MS or a stroke. Saw a neurologist and sh wasn't too worried.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

If you have cramp/pain in only one site that you have mentioned without any other problem then a possibility of venous obstruction in the leg that need exclusion. Other causes of cramps are low sodium, potassium, calcium in blood. Muscle diseases can also cause cramp, but usually more diffuse than localized like yours. This presentation is not that of MS or stroke.

I advise you to get examined by a physician/neurologist and then decide about the investigations. The investigations that can help diagnose are doppler ultrasound to see any blood clot in your legs, serum CPK and blood electrolytes and blood glucose and thyroid functions. If these are negative you can wait and take simple analgesics/vitamin E supplements and if recurs you must see a neurologist for a detailed evaluation.

Do not worry much as I strongly feel that this problem is not-serious

Please get back to me if you have any concerns

Best wishes

Follow-up: Having fluttering sensation and constant pain in calf muscle. Concerned for neurological problem 31 minutes later
Thank you,

When you say possibility of venous obstruction in the leg that need exclusion...what does that mean? Ruling out the possibility of a blood clot? Should I expect other symptoms if that were the case?

What would a serum cpk indicate?
Also, after how long of this constant fluttering do I go to a dr? See if it changes in a few days?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 hours later

Yes, I mean blood clot to be excluded. Other symptoms that can be seen are local swelling. Some patient may not have any other symptoms also.

Serum CPK means an enzyme test in the blood, which is elevated in patients with muscle disease.

Best wishes