Having fits. Given alprol Cr, levera Xr, lobazam and zinco. All these medicines requires?

my son is having problem every 4 to 5 months one day he is getting Pits (Like 2 mints stunned ) in the same day it will come 4 to 5 time we shown his to doctor he given the Valprol Cr 500 and Levera Xr 500 and Lobazam 5 mg twice day my son age is now 12 years recently aded Zinco B this is correct medicine for my son and we are having another dout this munch tablets we have to use kindly suggest us
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 12 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

1. Valprol contains Valproic Acid - a commonly prescribed mainline antiepileptic drug in children with good broad spectrum efficacy. Good tolerance.

2. Levera has Levetiracetam - a newer antiepileptic known to have a unique mechanism of action of fighting epilepsy far better than the mainline ones. Combination therapy is needed for clinical correlation of treatment. Also has very few or nil side effects.

3. Lobazam is Clonazepam - which is a good anxiety lowering medication, is needed for symptomatic therapy alongside epilepsy.

4. Zinco B is Calcium, Phosphorus and Zinc supplement - as many antiepileptic drugs over prolonged treatment may cause osteoporosis risk especially in growing children and elderly. Zinc is an antioxidant with beneficial properties in healing. Phosphate is needed for good absorption of Calcium from the intestine and helping in the mineralization process of laying down matrix substance in the bone.

All are absolutely within the limits of a good rational therapy for your child. No need of concern. Regular follow up is very vital to titrate the dose as per your treating doctor.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.