Having fever. Given Meftal P. Started shivering and temperature 103-104. Take to hospital?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My child (2 & 1/2 yrs old) has got fever since this evening. In our family, my wife had it first then i had it 2 days back and i think now my child has. I think it is Flu
Her body temperature was in the range 100-101. We gave her Meftal P in the evening at 6:00 pm. Now as she has gone to sleep, she has started shivering and temperature is at 103-104. We have now again giver her a dose of Meftal-p at 11:45 pm. I want to know if we have done the right thing and whats to be done next. Do we need to take her to hospital, right away.
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Right thing.Do tepid sponging with lukewarm water.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

You have done the right thing by giving Meftal-P. For high grade, it works well to decrease the body temperature .

The high grade fever is the cause for shivering, so measures should be taken to lower the child temperature. There is a chance of getting febrile seizures in children with high grade fever.

So I suggest you to give Meftal-P in prescribed dose every 8th hourly (6th hourly on some occasions) if there is high grade fever (T> 102·F). And do tepid sponging of the child body with lukewarm water to bring the temperature down.

Meftal-P should be given with food. It will cause gastric irritation if it is given on empty stomach.

For low grade fever, I suggest you to give paracetamol syrup in prescribed dose every 6th hourly depending on the presence of fever. And do tepid sponging with lukewarm water.

In spite of all these measure, if the fever persists to high grade take child to hospital for physical assessment and to take immediate measures to decrease the fever.

Maintain the child hydration by giving plenty of oral fluids.

And consult the Pediatrician for examination to look for the focus of infection and to advise specific medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having fever. Given Meftal P. Started shivering and temperature 103-104. Take to hospital? 5 hours later
Thank you Doctor.
Last night after the dosage of meftal-p (7 ml, as prescribed by our pediatrician), she pretty much slept through the night without fever.
Today, since morning, she has a bit of temperature at around 100+. Should we give her crocin to get the fever down to normal or is it okay/better to leave it at it.
My daughter is otherwise not too cranky even today. she has a bit of runny nose and weakness other than mild fever.
For last 2 years, we have resorted to minimal medication for her. and whenever she used to have cold or slight temperature, we would leave it as it is and the fever would just go out in 3 days usually.

Please let me know the right course of action this time.

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check temperature, activity, and follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for getting back.

You can give Crocin in prescribed dose if the fever is 100 degree F or more.

Check her body temperature, activity, and hydration status at regular intervals.

For her runny nose, you can give oral antihistamine like cetrizine in prescribed dose once daily.

Keep her hydrated by giving adequate oral fluids and giver her soft diet.

And be in follow up with your pediatrician for reassessment as advised by him till her fever subside completely.

I appreciate your approach in discriminate and appropriate usage of medication.

Wish your daughter speedy recovery and good health.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having fever. Given Meftal P. Started shivering and temperature 103-104. Take to hospital? 3 days later
Hello doctor,
My daughter is feeling better now. Though i see she seems weak and has reduced energy. How long would the weakness prolong generally, after flu?

Thanks,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Usually weakness prolong for 3 to 5 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for getting back.

Usually in viral illnesses like flu, weakness will prolong for 3 to 5 days.

Make her to take rest.

Give her adequate amounts of oral fluids and soft bland diet to maintain hydration and nutrition.

Regards.