Having ear pain and sometimes moving to the top of head. Allergic to air borne stuff. Suggest?

Dec 2012

I am having ear pain and sometimes it is all the way to the top of my head. Its the left side. I do have allergies to air born stuff.
I am 73yrs old, 5ft. 9 ins tall and around 180 pounsa.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Nsah and I am pleased to answer your health query,

Ear pain in adults is less likely to be from an ear infection. What you think is ear pain may actually be coming from another location, such as your temporomandibular joint, teeth, throat, or other location. This is called "referred" pain. Causes of ear pain may include:
- Arthritis of the jaw
- Acute ear infection
- Chronic ear infection
- Ear injury from pressure changes (from high altitudes and other causes)
- Object stuck in the ear or severely impacted ear wax
- Ruptured or perforated eardrum
- Sinus infection
- Sore throat with referred pain to the ears
- Temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ)
- Tooth infection

You will need ENT consultation to determine if one of the above causes are responsible so that you can be provided with an appropriate treatment. You may take OTC pain killers such as iboprofen, diclofenac etc as this usually reliefs most of my patients before I provide definitive treatment.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Follow-up: Having ear pain and sometimes moving to the top of head. Allergic to air borne stuff. Suggest? 15 hours later
Thank you, I took 2 asperins last night and the symtoms are gone this morning. My dentist had told me a couple of years ago that I had a disjointed jaw, could that be my problem and who should I see about it?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 57 minutes later
Your welcome. It is possible that it might be the cause for your pain and you will need that checked again to confirm that the disjointed jaw is still present and responsible for the pain.

Hope I was helpful and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah