Having dry eyes, pain in knee and hip. I have cervical spondylosis. Is it sjogren's syndrome or vitamin d deficiency?

Hi team
for past 6 months am facing dry eyes and dry mouth. i also having nee main and hip pains to. i have cervical spondylosis and l5-s1 disc bulding also. recently i was identified with Vit D3 insufficiency. mine level is 13. is this all this symptoms pertains to Sjogren's Syndrome or vitamin D insufficiency?

awaiting your reply
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Parshant Aggarwal 6 hours later

Pain in knees, hips and neck can be attributed to vitamin D deficiency. It will responds very well to vitamin D supplementation.

Dryness of eyes and mouth is not a feature of vitamin D deficiency. However we cannot attribute this to Sjogrens syndrome too. Sjogrens syndrome is more commonly seen in females >50 years of age.

Dryness symptoms need to be evaluated further. There can be other causes to dryness including anxiety, diabetes, hepatitis C, HIV infection, sarcoidosis, etc. Hence a detailed clinical evaluation is required.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have further enquiries.

Follow-up: Having dry eyes, pain in knee and hip. I have cervical spondylosis. Is it sjogren's syndrome or vitamin d deficiency? 34 minutes later
thanks for the reply Dr.

i have tested for diabetes,HIV infection but it came as negative. whether any calcium or magneisam deficiancy can cause the driness in mouth and eyes?
or any other deciciancy can cause this drieness?

Answered by Dr. Parshant Aggarwal 17 hours later

No, calcium, magnesium or other deficiencies do not cause this dryness.

Hope this helps.