Having drainage in right ear and outer earlobe with swelling on right side of face, jaws popping. What can it be ?

Excellent

Question
i am having drainage in my right ear and also some drainage in the outer ear lobe and have swelling on the right side of face by the ear and my jaw pops when i open my mouth or yawn.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

The symptoms that you have described (ear drainage, swelling on side of face and jaw popping when opening the mouth) are indicative of two possibilities:

1)     Otitis externa which is an infection of the outer ear causes pruritis inside the ear, maybe pain in the ear, purulent ear discharge and associated lymphadenopathy causing swelling of that side of the face.

2)     TMJ (Temporomadibular joint disorder) disorder with associated ear infection. TMJ disorder causes pain or tenderness in the face, jaw joint area and clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth. An associated ear infection may cause drainage from the ear.

You can apply warm compresses to the TMJ joint and take anti inflammatory pain killer drugs after consulting your doctor. If it is an ear infection then you may need oral antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Having drainage in right ear and outer earlobe with swelling on right side of face, jaws popping. What can it be ? 16 minutes later
with the diagnosis would swelling of the inner ear canal and pain in there also be part of it.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Both otitis externa and TMJ disorder with added ear infection will cause swelling, pain, redness and feeling of warmth of the area as well. Another possibility although less likely is of parotitis which is inflammation of the parotid gland due to mumps. Get an ENT check up done to confirm the diagnosis. In any case, an antibiotic course may be needed.