Having digestion problem. Sign of gastric issue?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013
Good

Question
I had a regular problem with my digestion. I had a problem of gasteric. Even my diet is less when I compare to other people of my age. Whenver I eat spicy food or non-vegetarian food & It leads to regular motions.
Few days back, my Doctor has conducted few type of blood test & reports are in order.
Please suggest to get rid of this digestion problem & advice some sort of diet chart.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with gastric problems.
Do you have excessive flatulence/ acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness/ excessive gargling sounds from stomach?
Do you have positive family history of diabetes/ thyroid disorder?
Do you have some sort of anxiety?

With the available describes symptoms, there appears to be possibility of exaggerated gastro-colic reflex and associated peptic ulcer disease.
Peptic ulcer disease may be in form of chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis and gastric & duodenal ulcer, adenocarcinoma of stomach and GERD (all these disease are diagnosed by endoscopy).
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.
Exaggerated gastro-colic reflex may be due to stress and anxiety, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, malabsorption, celiac and tropical sprue.

Are you a smoker?
Smoking increases acid production in stomach with increased possibility of gastric problems.

You should consult with your treating doctor/ XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.

You should go for complete hemogram, thyroid profile and blood sugar, urea breath test for H. Pylori bacteria.
If urea breath test is found to be positive then you must have to take treatment against Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
You should also go for endoscopy along with biopsy for better clarification.

Treatment depends on the diagnosed disease. You may require complete antibiotic course, H pylori therapy, mebeverine or gut antianxiety medicines.

Kindly follow these dietary restrictions:
1) Avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, oily and spicy food (particularly at night times), tea and coffee.
2) Keep difference of 3 hours between meals and sleep.
3) Take soft diet along with yogurt.
4) Take frequent small amount meals.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having digestion problem. Sign of gastric issue? 18 hours later
Thanks Doctor.

Do you have excessive flatulence/ acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness/ excessive gargling sounds from stomach? Yes
Do you have positive family history of diabetes/ thyroid disorder? No Diabetic in our family.
Do you have some sort of anxiety? Yes.

I'm uploading reports of test I gone through few days back. If something can be come out of these.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 36 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
You should go for endoscopy with biopsy.
There could be possibilities of H. pylori infection.
You should also go for urea breath test.
You should take Chlordiazepoxide, clidinium bromide and dicyclomine along with mebeverine on written prescription.
You should also take tricyclic antidepressants.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava