Having cramps, nausea, constipation and urinating. Had mirena . No periods yet. Can I be pregnant?

I have had mirena in for a year , in the last two weeks I have had cramps,nausea , constipation, and urinating more, I'm a week late , could I be pregnant? Or could there be an infection?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 1 hour later

First of all, mirena is a levonorgestrel containing IUD. It is more than 99.5% effective against unwanted pregnancy.

But, there are several side effects or complications in case of mirena used for long time. These include pelvic infection, abdominal pain, missed period, change in bleeding pattern, ovarian cyst, ectopic pregnancy (most serious effect) etc.

Here, I suggest you to undergo one ultrasound scan (USG) for lower abdomen and blood test for beta hCG level to rule out pregnancy at the earliest.

If above tests give negative result, then some investigations like blood test for thyroid profile & hormone level assay, vaginal swab test and endometrial biopsy following D & C may be needed to exclude other causative agents.

Treatment depends upon underlying etiology. You may need to remove mirena IUD for proceeding next line management.

So please consult with gynecologist for taking suggestive measures following pelvic examination and relevant investigation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Dr Soumen.