Having continuous stomach pain. Taking prylesis. Reoccurring on a daily basis. Any thoughts?

hello, i have continuing pains in stomach and left side. Pains come and go. Saw my dr about two weeks ago. Was prescribed Prylesis. Pains seemed to diminish, but have reoccured on a daily basis. Feels something like "hunger pain" and is sometimes relieved by bowel movement or by taking 2 "tums" over the counter med.
My Dr took blood samples at appt. about 3 weeks ago. Results showed normal liver numbers and normal pancreas numbers
Any thoughts
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 27 minutes later
I think you have got a gut infection(Dysentry) of the descending colon, mostly bacterial or amoebic and rarely viral in adults and more so if you have recently had a trip to developing countries.
Another possibility is an Irritable Bowel syndrome- in case of IBS the symptoms are rather a part and parcel of life.
Recall the duration if short- some weeks, then it is infection, you can take OTC preparation of metronidazole and ciprofloxacin for four days and the prolem will subside,
If the symptoms are in months to years, intermittent, then it can be IBS, You should consult your gastroenterologist who will know the regime for that.
There are other possibilities also but rarer, and to diagnose among them you will need endoscopy, stool exam, blood screen etc, before a conclusion can be made.
Please start with the advised stretegy.
I hope you would achieve a great health.