Having chills and shivering without fever. What could be the cause?

chills and shivering without fever also flu shot 6 weeks ago no follow-up question but to add, I do not take any medication for my psoriasis but use a topical cream when I have a flare-up, which is very seldom.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Associated infections needs to be ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic Chills and shivering are usually seen because of fever of high degree. Since you have specifically mentioned that you do not have fever I have to think of other causes for chills. The causes for chills without fever are Infections Urinary tract infections Hypothyroidism Anaemia Exposure to cold environment Since you have mentioned that you had flu few weeks ago infective causes or persisting infection following flu may be the cause. Few infections which are commonly associated with chills are malaria, gastroenteritis, infections of urinary tract, pneumonia... Hence I would like to rule out infective causes by simple blood tests like total white blood cell count, differential count to look for any infection or inflammation. If they come out negative then I will think of other causes like anaemia and hypothyroidism. Hence I advice first to undergo blood tests after consulting your physician doctor for evaluation and treatment accordingly. Hope the information helps you. With regards Dr Dadapeer K