Having chest congestion and blocked nose. Smoking addiction. Taking Mucinex

I have some chest congestion, I'm a 20 year old smoker with an active lifestyle and full-time work/student/wife... Right now, I've been taking Mucinex Fast-Max for 16 hours and my nose is blocked up and I can't breath to sleep. Help me.rProfile
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Currently you have a sense of breathlessness and nasal blockage.

2. At the age of 20, I am sure you can definitely quit smoking. Please do it at the earliest. It requires no more than mere mental resolve.

3. You seem to be having currently an episode of rhinitis with postnasal drip with acute bronchitis.

4. You should visit a Pulmonologist as soon as possible.

5. Meanwhile you can do the following:

1. Continue mucinex fast XXXXXXX
2. Start a topical nasal spray (preferably a combination of anti histaminic and topical steroid eg. azelastin + fluticasone nasal spray at morning and night befor going to sleep).
3. You can take an oral antihistaminic tablet like tablet fexofenadine 120 mg at bed time.
4. Steam inhalation will help you.
5. Also you may start a oral antibiotic Tablet azithromycin 500 mg per day for 3 days.
6. These will definitely provide you symptomatic relief.

However please do get yourself evaluated by a pulmonologist at the earliest. A chest xray and pulmonary function test are required in your case.

Please quit smoking.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra