Ask a Dentist   »  

Having burnt tongue. Having swelling, blisters and pain. Cannot taste and have a white coating on tongue. Advice?

Hi, in a rush and without thinking 6 days ago burnt my tongue on 2 minute boiling noodle juice. It almost immediately started to swell and blister. It is still very painful and as a result of the swelling I seem to have torn it up more with my teeth. My cheeks are also blistered and sore as well. I can't taste anything, it feels like my tongue has a coating on it and does look to have a bit of a white coating over it. I have not yet consulted a doctor personally, should I? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 35 minutes later

At this point my best advice is to chew cold popsicles. They bring you relief. You can apply Orajel over the blistered sore.

Do take bland diet till the blisters heal. Do not worry, oral mucosa has good blood supply and they heal fast. Likewise is the white coating over the tongue.

Let me know after 2 days. I do not think you need a physician today.

Follow-up: Having burnt tongue. Having swelling, blisters and pain. Cannot taste and have a white coating on tongue. Advice? 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back to me. I forgot to add earlier that I also have a sore throat with this and today have developed a quite painful ear ache in my right ear. Could these be connected to the burn? Or something different entirely?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 26 minutes later
Yes, there is a possibility of infection setting in this kind of scenario. You should be extra careful. Germs take this situation as an advantage and enter through the blisters. At this point everything seems to be going in acute pharyngitis from simple blisters.

DISPRIN Gargles can help you. If needed take Ibuprofen 200mg as well. I do not recommend a delayed prescription of antibiotic here after 3 days.

Let me know if you need further advice.