Having body pain, bump in neck, swollen lymph node, sore throat, fever and chills. Required treatment?

Pediatrician
Question
My daughter is 14 years old, she started complaining of a body ache and a bump in her neck, she has swollen neck lymphs, a bit of sore throat and some round red bumps on the back of her neck. She had once fever and chills. It has been about 10 days since she started feeling sick.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Fever followed by sore throat, swollen lymph nodes in neck and red "bumps" on the back of neck and feeling sick should not be taken lightly. Please correct me if I am wrong regarding the "bumps" - are they blood coloured raised rash of a few millimetres in size?

A number of conditions come to mind. I would suggest that your daughter be shown to a doctor immediately who may order the following essential investigations and manage her accordingly:
1. Haemogram including platelet count
2. C Reactive Protein
3. Blood and throat swab culture and sensitivity
4. Urine routine

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Do write back for further discussion on this.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK

Follow-up: Having body pain, bump in neck, swollen lymph node, sore throat, fever and chills. Required treatment? 15 hours later
Hi Dr, my daughter just had a blood test, the dr said that most likely was a viral infection, her platelets were just a bit low and she would like to do another blood check in a month> what do you think, I am so scared>

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 hours later

Thank you for the update. The information provided by you is reassuring. I would have preferred if you had uploaded the reports for review. If the treating doctor wants to repeat the tests after a month then the platelet count must be on the lower side of normal and there should not be anything to worry.

Things are moving in the right direction and there should not be anything that should scare you. The enlarged lymph nodes following a viral infection should reduce in size in due course of time for which your daughter needs to be followed up.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please do revert back if any further doubts need to be cleared.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.

RKK