Having blocked ear, shortness of breath and coughing up phlegm. Any permanent cure?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have problem of cough all time. Almost whole day I have phelgm in my throat which I clear it by coughing out. Because of this my ear constantly get blocked and I have hearing problems. Also I feel as if I cannot take sufficient oxygen in my lungs. I feel short of breath. This problem of cough is for more than a decade. Sometime it is worse , sometime better. please suggest permanent solution.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you are having infection in your respiaratory tract. It can be allergic or bacterial in origin. In your case, it is indicative more of allergic brochitis. There is no permanent cure to allergy. It can only be prevented by avoiding the allergen or the causative factor.
Due to infection of the upper respiratory tract, inflammation in the Eustachian tube can occur resulting in blocking sensation in the ears.

You should get your chest auscultated to confirm whether there is any associated bronchoconstriction. Also a clinical examination by an ENT specialist will be helpful.

Following investigations will help in proper management :-
1. Complete Blood Count (CBC).
2. Throat swab culture.
3. Sputum examination.
4. Chest X-Ray (PA view)

You can take antiallergic like Fenofexadine 120 mg once a day for relief from cough.
Decongestants like Phenylepherine or Pseudoephedrine can be taken twice a day for relief from your symptoms of your ear.

If bronchoconstriction is present, a bronchodilator like Levosalbutamol may be needed (in the form of inhaler- safer than tablets).

Mucolytics like bromhexine and steam inhalation will also be helpful in releasing and expelling out the sputum/phelgm.

I would suggest that you should first get yourself clinically examined and investigated before starting any medication.

Intake of fresh fruits and vegetables and regular exercise in fresh air increases the immunity and the frequency of falling ill decreases.
Also take Vitamin C as it boosts immunuty.
Habbit of washing hands also decrease the entry of infective organism in our body.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any query, I will be happy to help.