Having black eye underneath, just below tear duct and spreads about half way under eye. Advise?

Rheumatologist
Question
I woke up this morning with a black eye underneath my left eye. It looks like it starts from just below my left tear duct and spreads about half way under my left eye, the rest of the area looks puffy. I don't recall any trauma whatsoever. I am 55 years old and do not take any meds. Please help this has freaked me out!!!
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well, black eye generally occurs due to bruising around the eyes that leads to rupture of capillaries and accumulation of blood .

It is generally caused by a blunt trauma to the face but since you dont give any such history then it is unlikely cause . Sometimes it is due to allergic reactions also or any surgical procedure on face plus acute sinusitis can rarely lead to this . Taking oral anticoagulants may be a risk factor but you are not taking any medication which rules it out .

I can advise you to see an ophthalmologist at the earliest to determine the cause
as delaying in medical advise may aggravate the problem . Till then keep an ice pack over your eye and you may take some analgesic like paracetamol for pain relief . Kindly seek medical help at earliest.

Get well soon .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Having black eye underneath, just below tear duct and spreads about half way under eye. Advise? 3 hours later
Just wanted to add that it is not swollen very much and I have no pain at all.
Could it be possible that I did this somehow in my sleep, since I woke up with it?
Thank you so much for your time!

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 18 hours later
Dear Madam,

Well one thing can be said that since there is no pain and swelling, it is less it is less likely to be serious . Yes, sometimes it happens that you might have hurt yourself during sleep but don't remember but please have an expert opinion over this issue as it is very difficult to comment just on history . Physical examination is very important .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Having black eye underneath, just below tear duct and spreads about half way under eye. Advise? 29 minutes later
Thankyou Dr. XXXXXXX for your response & helpfullness. I am going to go ahead and make an appointment in the morning. Have a wonderful Sunday, and "Happy Father's Day."

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 minutes later

Dear Madam,

Take care . Get well soon . Happy Fathers day to you too.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti.