Having bags under eyes. Eye hurts and area looks swollen and red. What's wrong?

I have bags under my eyes - they are typical. Two days ago I woke up and my right eye hurt, and I noticed the bag under my eye was significantly lower than the bag under my left eye. At the bottom of the bag theres a little swollen area. It's not abnormally red, but my roommate said it kind of looked as though I was hit - which I was not.
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later

Thank you for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence. Coming to causes:

A: It has got nothing to do with the shoulder surgery. If you have peri menopausal then you have an additional cause for gaining weight as well as bags under eyes that is hormonal.

B: Bags under eyes — mild swelling or puffiness under the eyes — are common as you age. With aging, the tissues around your eyes, including some of the muscles supporting your eyelids, weaken. Normal fat that helps support the eyes can then migrate forward into the lower eyelids, causing the lids to appear puffy. Fluid also may accumulate in the space below your eyes, adding to a swollen appearance.

C: Fluid retention due to changes in weather (for example, hot, humid days), hormone levels or eating salty foods

D: Sleeping flat on your back
E: Not getting enough sleep
F: Allergies or dermatitis, especially if puffiness is accompanied by redness and
G: Heredity

Bags under eyes are usually a cosmetic concern and rarely a sign of a serious underlying medical condition.Depending on the cause of the swelling, home and lifestyle treatments, such as applying cold compresses or sleeping with your head raised, can help reduce or eliminate puffy eyes.

Medical and surgical treatments are available if you're concerned about the appearance of under-eye swelling.

At-home remedies, such as cold compresses, can help improve the appearance of bags under eyes. For persistent or bothersome under-eye puffiness, cosmetic treatments are available.

If home remedies are not successful and it is causing problem even cosmetic, please answer these questions so that I can suggest your doctor to refer to a competent specialist to see:

1. When did you first notice the puffiness under your eyes? 2 days. But how?
2. Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
3. What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
4. What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?

I hope this answer has been useful to you. If you have further query then please write I will be most happy to answer. Do answer my questions too.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW