What is the treatment if child developed puffy eyes after giving Advil syrup for runny nose?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
hello I have a daughter who is 1 year 6 months she had runny nose for 3 weeks and then gave her medicine name adryl so now there is no runny nose but she is very sick with puffy eyes should i take her to a doctor immediately?, I gave her advil syrup that i brought from canada. what should i do ?
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get her examined by the doctor. Detailed Answer: HiXXXXX, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. I would like to know in what way she is very sick. Is she having fever at present? Puffy eyes could be a symptom of allergic problem. Advil syrup contains ibuprofen and it is given for fever and pain in children. If she is having fever, you can give Advil as per the prescribed dosage. Maintain het hydration by giving plenty of oral fluids and sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte. And consult the pediatrician for physical examination to look for the causes of her sickness and puffy eyes. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: What is the treatment if child developed puffy eyes after giving Advil syrup for runny nose? 1 hour later
Well we are in bangladesh right now the season is changing as well and she got a lot of mosquito bites as well and she is not active like before and yes she was feverish that is why i gave her the advil my canadian doctor also adviced me to get allergic medication for her since she has seasonal allergy so should i give her the allergy mediction ? And i will get a pediatrician to get her checked as well

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can give as per prescription dosage. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thank you for getting back. You can give Advil if the child is continuing fever as per the prescription. For her seasonal allergy, you can give the allergic medication also as per the instructions. And protect the child from mosquito bites by using mosquito nets and repellents as the mosquitos spread many diseases such as malaria and dengue fever. And consult the pediatrician for clinical assessment to know the cause for the fever and to prescribe specific medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.