Having back pain and coccyx pain, frequent bowel movement. Is there a slight blockage somewhere?

General Surgeon
Over the last few weeks I have been having pretty regular lower back pains which feel like I have been kneed in coccyx these are especially painful when I wake in the morning and also when sitting at the computer.

I have also started to have several more bowl movements per day than normal...... Let me explain the situation in more detail..... I am 49 and do not drink or smoke and have not lost any weight recently..... In fact I have actually put a couple of stones on in the last year or so.

In the morning I wake and after 20 minutes or so have my normal bowl movement, however around 20 to 40 minutes later I now feel the need to go again which I of course I do............ then everything seems fine.

This (new second movement) frequently removes the feeling of any pain in my coccyx area so I guess my question is........... Do you think there a slight blockage somewhere ?

Then at around 2 to 3 pm I have to have another movement which I have never needed before then my regular movement at around 9pm prior to going to bed is as normal.

Also, as well as the coccyx pain I now have a slight pain in my abdomen when I have to wipe my anus this pain is also present when I tie my shoe laces or bend down to plug something into the wall..... all very strange !

Can you help?

P.S I am 49 years of age, male, approx 16 stones and 6 feet in height.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

As you have noticed, there can be something in the large intestine that obstructs it. As you are almost 50, it seems like there is a time for your first colonoscopy.
Such pain can be caused by large intestine polyps or even a cancer. Prostate inflammation, anal fissure, pylonidal cyst can also give such symptoms.
As I can not perform physical examination, I want to ask you to take a look closely your area between the buttocks and see if there is any swelling, redness or petite holes (like a hair follicle); try to push gently your abdomen on the right lower and left lower side and please report if any pain appears.
I suggest you to visit your doctor and perform some tests. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests, amylase, urine analysis, PSA level should be checked. Colonoscopy should be also performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having back pain and coccyx pain, frequent bowel movement. Is there a slight blockage somewhere? 2 days later
Dear Dr Stanko,

In answer to your questions.

There is no swelling, redness or petite holes in the area of my

Although there is a slight rash between my scrotum and inner
thigh (both left & right sides) which seeps fluid & also smells
quite a bit.

There is no pain in the lower right or left of my abdomen,
however there is a very slight pain above and to the right
of my navel.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

So we can rule pylonidal cyst out. Mentioned rash can be caused by mild fungal infection of this area. To get rid of it you should keep it clean and dry, use some antifungal cream.
Your symptoms should be investigated with mentioned before tests (abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests, amylase, urine analysis, PSA level,colonoscopy).
It is also possible that your back pain is due to spine disc herniation, however it wont cause any abdominal pain or changes in bowel movement, and should be considered after ruling out large intestine condition.

Hope this will help.