Having alcohol addiction and drug use. On antidepressants. Dangerous?

what does smoking pot 12 joints a day drinking 12 shots of wiskey and being on antidepressant do your mental health
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 5 hours later

Thank you for posting in your query.

Pot or weed are the dried leaves of the Cannabis plant containing cannabinoids which are known to cause mental disturbances like anxiety, depression, personality disturbances and memory loss in the long run

Alcohol is a CNS (Central Nervous System) depressant.

When on antidepressants, pot and whiskey can add to your already present depressive symptoms.

My suggestion to you would be to try and stop the intake of drugs if you are on it, atleast during the time that you are on medication.

It is a difficult phase in any ones' life who has to battle through not only depression but also the use of drugs. My suggestion would be to seek help from a Rehabilitation Psychiatrist. I wish you a very speedy recovery and healthy life.

Hope I have answered your query. I would be available for further questions if any.

Dr Gowri
Follow-up: Having alcohol addiction and drug use. On antidepressants. Dangerous? 17 hours later
thank you for answer this is not me it is my wife she has borderline personalitydisorder are all drugs making it worst
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 6 hours later

Thank you for reverting with a follow up question.

Individuals with borderline personality disorder have unstable moods and cognitive distortions leading to impulsive and chaotic interpersonal relationships and behavior; as well as a disturbance in the individual's sense of self.

They have additional problems of depression, drug abuse, and problems with work, family, and social relationships, suicidal attempts and actual suicide.

Drugs in a way are compounding your wife's problems. It would be best for her to get treated under a protected environment so that she can get herself away from pot and alcohol.

Also, when on medication it is best not abuse drugs. This along with psychotherapy would help her in the long run.

However, it will not be easy for her and for you as well.

The best thing would be to get treated in a psychiatric rehabilitation center where she has access to good doctors and counselors.

Hope I have answered your query.

May almighty lord give you and your wife the strength to fight this battle.

Dr Gowri