Having acute pain in lower back. Remedy?

Question
For the Past 3-4 Days i have an accute pain in my lower back right up till the monkey bone.
Can you please suggest a remedy.

XXXXX
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Dear XXXXX,

I will try to work on the questions that you have today but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.

- Did you sustain any injury?
- Do you have a continuous ache or is the pain intermittent in nature?
- If this is an intermittent pain when does it worsen/when does it get better?
- Does pain improve or worsen with movements of the back such as twisting, bending?
- Does the pain spread down to your legs?
- Is there any tingling sensation, numbness or weakness of legs?
- Are you running fever? How about headache, generalized ache, weakness?
- Is your appetite fine?
- Have you had similar complaints in the past?
- What is the nature of your work?

Please elaborate on each of these questions which will help me address your problem better.

Awaiting your reply...

Dr. Prasad

Follow-up: Having acute pain in lower back. Remedy? 2 hours later

Did you sustain any injury?- NO
Do you have a continuous ache or is the pain intermittent in nature? - CONTINUOUS MILD, BUT DO GET A SUDDEN SPIKE.
If this is an intermittent pain when does it worsen/when does it get better?- IT WORSENS WHILE TWISTING OR BENDING.
Does pain improve or worsen with movements of the back such as twisting, bending?- WORSENS.
Does the pain spread down to your legs?- NO
Is there any tingling sensation, numbness or weakness of legs?- NO
Are you running fever? NO
How about headache, generalized ache, weakness?- NO
Is your appetite fine?- YES
Have you had similar complaints in the past?- NO
What is the nature of your work? DESK JOB

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for providing the necessary details. Now I know that what you have is more likely a muscular pain not deeper than the muscles. It is unlikely to be a spine or nerve compression related pain.

The most important treatment here is adequate rest. Avoid twisting and turning; lifting weights; and keep your back straight and erect at most times. You can also apply topical pain killers like pain balms or voveran sprays. Warm compresses with hot water bags will also give pain relief.

If the pain is very severe than you can add oral pain killers such as diclofenac sodium under the guidance of your local doctor.

Muscular aches usually resolve in a week or two. If pain intensity remains the same, I advise you to consult an orthopaedic surgeon for detailed evaluation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.