Having acidity problem and heart burn. Prescribed with rabium DSR. Stopped medicines and having the problem again. Suggestions?

Hi, I am XXXXXXX I had a problem of acidity and heart burn and doctor prescribed me Rabuim DSR twice a day for 5 days. I had relief but after stopping it, problem occurs again.
Should I countinue to take Rabium DSR and for how many days ? Kindly suggest
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For 2 weeks...

Detailed Answer:

If heartburn and acidity continues to persists, I would suggest continuing plain rabium. In my patients I use Rabium (rabeprazole) 40mg once a day tablet for 2-3 weeks. In addition to the medicine, I urge to adhere to healthy eating and life style habit
- Avoiding spicy food
- Restricting fizzy drinks and beverages
- Eating at regular time
- Timing the dinner meal 2 hours before sleep
- Sleeping adequately
- Practicing exercise, yoga and meditation

If symptoms continue to persist, I advice to see gastroenterologist. He/she can order upper GI endoscopy and plan the next step of treatment.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Follow-up: Having acidity problem and heart burn. Prescribed with rabium DSR. Stopped medicines and having the problem again. Suggestions? 7 minutes later
OK. Thank you so much Dr. XXXXXXX
So, should I go for rabium 40 mg once in a day for 2 weeks ? Should I take it in the morning or evening and before meal or after meal ? Kindly suggest.
Dr., waiting for your reply.....
Answered by Dr. Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Half an before meal...

Detailed Answer:
Rabeprazole (rabium) is more effective when taken half an hour before food. Presence of food can interfere with its absorption making it less effective. I prefer to give it before breakfast in the morning.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.