Having abdominal pain, feeling fatigue, weak and heartbeat in back of head. Related to anxiety?

General Surgeon
Question
I've had gastro issues for around 3 months now, when i get a flare up my upper stomach near my diaphram gets very tight i get cold, and very fatigued and in the last 3 days my left arm and left leg have started to feel heavy/weak and i've been able to feel my heartbeat in he back of my head could this all be related to greif or anxiety from losing my mother over a year ago that i never really got time to greif over?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Abdominal pain with left side weakening, numbness can be caused by heart problem. It can appear due to ischemic heart disease, heart arrhythmia.

As our brain is able to control every part of the body (as nerve fibers are everywhere), stress can (due to brain stimulation) affect every part of the body as well. And it can for sure cause symptoms just like yours.
Headaches, abdominal pains, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, sweating, heart pounding, legs or arms numbness and many many more can be caused by stress indeed.
Sometimes even if you do not realize it, your subconsciousness keeps stimulating your brain and causes such symptoms.

But before such diagnose, heart problems should be ruled out. Also peptic ulcers (which can cause such symptoms and also can be triggered by stress) should be ruled out.

I suggest you to have heart ECG, 24 hours Holters ECG, blood work, abdominal ultrasound, thyroid tests, ions tests (low Magnesium level can make your nervous system more irritable), upper GI endoscopy.

If nothing will be found, I suggest you to visit psychiatrist (not because of any disease but because you need minor help in improvement) and consider antianxiety medicines.

In a meanwhile I suggest you to start Magnesium 400mg per day supplementation. Avoid coffee, soft drinks, fatty foods.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, feeling fatigue, weak and heartbeat in back of head. Related to anxiety? 17 minutes later
The gastro issues started first the weak extremities started in just the past 3 days have been having the gasto stuff for just under 3 months could that still be the case?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Yes, it still can be the case. Like I have mentioned before, your gastro symptoms can appear due to peptic ulcers (indicated by stress or unrelated to the stress). It can be also just a muscles spasm due to stress or anxiety.
Left extremities weakness can be due to neurological problem (also indicated by stress or unrelated to the stress). Heart problem is still possible and can coexist with peptic ulcers for example. So it does not change the diagnostic process.

As the weakness has appeared separately I would also recommend you to visit neurologist.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, feeling fatigue, weak and heartbeat in back of head. Related to anxiety? 2 minutes later
i've already had thyroid tests and an abdominal ultrasoud both came back normal my blood pressure is good my pulse is a bit elevated from what they said last but every other test they've done have come back normal.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Abdominal ultrasound is very sketchy test and remains blind for many abdominal diseases. Especially for peptic ulcers which can be visualized with endoscopy.
Blood tests can be in referral ranges what does not rule out peptic ulcers or heart issues.
By monitoring pulse only, you are unable to tell about some arrhythmia, and for sure you are not able to tell about heart ischemia. That is 24 hours Holters ECG is advisable.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, feeling fatigue, weak and heartbeat in back of head. Related to anxiety? 6 minutes later
is there anything can to until i get get back to a doctor to have this scheduled i've had it so long i keep getting very scared about it and having mild panic attacks and i've sunk into a depression the last few days please advice how to help this is the short term the heartbeat on the back of my head is also very frighting as it doesn't go away and i sometimes become dizzy

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Most of the medicines which would be helpful are Rx in USA.
OTC medicines which should be helpful is Magnesium 400 mg once a day, Omeprazole 20 mg once a day in the morning before a meal, and some natural sedating medicines (like Lemon Balm, Hypericum perforatum).
If you are able to get Rx medicines, Propranolol 10 mg, Mebeverine 200 mg and Hydroxizine 50 mg should give temporal relief.

Hope this will help.
Regards.